Look out everyone there is a brain eating amoeba on the loose and its name is Naegleria fowleri!
Found in the waters of Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana, more specifically in a fire hydrant, the amoeba is still being tested by the Department of Health and Hospitals, though they have warned residents to take many precautions so as to avoid any kind of disease. This is actually the second water supply in Louisiana to be tested positive for the amoeba in the past few weeks.
According to the DHH, residents need to be careful not to let the water get in their noses because that is how it can affect the brain and possibly result in a disease called primary amebic meningoencephalitis, similar to bacterial meningitis.
The list of precautions is lengthy and includes refraining from jumping into pools, allowing children to play in sprinklers or hoses without supervision, running tap water for at least five minutes to flush out any infected water, and scrubbing blow-up pools before use. You can actually access the full and detailed list of precaution measures on the CDC website just to be safe.
The DHH did advise the 97,000 residents in the area that the water is safe to drink, despite all the preventative warnings. Currently, both water supplies (Ascension Parish and St. Bernard Parish) are undergoing a 60-day chlorine burn conducted by the Consolidated Waterworks District #1.
The chlorine burn will hopefully ensure that the amoeba is killed, but until then everyone in Louisiana should remain cautious and safe!