New dashcam and body-cameras videos released from the shooting of Keith Lamont Scott have people outraged.
As previously reported, police in Charlotte, N.C. shot and killed Keith Lamont Scott on Tuesday. Police were searching for a man to serve with a warrant and approached Scott. They said that Scott got out of his car with a gun, prompting them to shoot him.
However, that story seems to be inaccurate.
Despite police saying, according to CNN, that Scott made a threatening move with a gun, neither police dashcam nor body-camera videos show Scott holding or pointing a gun at them. Instead, Scott’s pistol looks to be inside his ankle holster.
In the videos, there is a view of Scott from his right side with his arm at his body, but it is not clear if he is holding a gun there.
Prior to the videos’ release, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Kerr Putney said that “there is no definitive visual evidence that he had a gun in his hand.”
According to Daily Mail, other videos released show Scott slowly walking backwards before being shot. Still, none of the videos show Scott pointing or raising a gun or making any sudden movements.
These videos and the fact that police refuse to release all of the footage from Scott’s shooting have, rightfully so, outraged protesters. They, along with countless citizens across the country, believe the police are trying to cover something up by not releasing all of the footage.
The police should release all of the videos to either prove why they shot Scott, or to show that they were wrong and accept responsibility. Unfortunately, the latter of the two seems unlikely to happen.