Ryan Lochte is finally taking responsibility for his outrageous behavior in Rio.
As previously reported, Lochte and three other United States swimmers–Jimmy Feigen, Jack Conger, and Gunnar Bentz–were, allegedly, robbed at gunpoint during the 2016 Rio Olympics.
“And then the guy pulled out his gun, he cocked it, put it to my forehead, and he said, ‘Get down,’ and I put my hands up. I was like, ‘Whatever,’” Lochte previously told NBC about the incident.
However, Lochte’s story quickly proved to be false. Surveillance videos showed that the four swimmers had actually trashed a local gas station while intoxicated and refused to pay for any of the damage. Security guards later pulled the men from their taxis to question them about the incident, which resulted on a gun being pulled on the them.
After first sticking by his story, Lochte is finally owning up to his wrongdoings.
On Monday, the 32-year-old Olympian sat down for the second part of his interview with Today host Matt Lauer, where he apologized for the incident.
“How sorry I am and my deepest apologies,” Lochte told Lauer about his message for the people of Brazil, according to Daily Mail.
He also confirmed he would pay the $11,000 fine he and the other swimmers caused, because he feels as though he “tarnished” the games.
“They put on a great games. They did everything. The people of Rio and Brazil, the authorities, everyone. They put on a great games, and my immature, intoxicated behavior tarnished that,” the gold medalist explained.
While it is great that Lochte is finally owning up to his mistakes, he is correct that his immature actions have completely overshadowed all of the incredible, historic successes from Team USA athletes, such as Michael Phelps, Simone Biles and Simone Manuel. We are hopeful that Lochte is truly sorry for what he did wrong, and he did not do this interview and say what he did for a pretty penny from Today.