“To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world.”
So wrote the great travel writer Freya Stark in her 1932 book “Baghdad Sketches.”
Let’s face it: We all need a vacation at some point in our lives. If you don’t have friends or family that can’t go on vacation, then go alone.
Yes, I know it sounds scary but it may make for a memorable experience. With that in mind, here are seven tips for a successful solo travel:
- Take Yourself Out To Dinner– It sounds terrifying but sometimes you got to break out of your comfort zone. Giving in and relying on grab-and-go fast food when traveling alone is a crime against cuisine. Be adventurous!
- Lay Off The Social Media– YOU ARE ON VACATION! You don’t need to be on Instagram or Twitter every few seconds to see what your family and friends are up to. So ration the SMS messages, emails and Skype calls and actually pay attention to what’s going on around you. The more stories you don’t blog about on the road, the fresher they’ll be when you get back home.
- Don’t Act Like A Tourist– There is nothing more awkward than standing on a street corner with a huge map with a terrified expression on your face. Before you head out to travel, make sure you know where you are going. Google map the places you want to go and be on your way. Or ask the locals.
- Revel In Your Selfishness– Want to see the Mona Lisa? Want To See The Great Wall of China? Do it! You are on vacation by yourself. Go nuts!
- Learn To Save Money (It Will Be Difficult)– It will be hard but live on a budget.
- Remember The Dangers– You are in another country. Anything can happen so be aware of your surroundings.
- Be Bold And Go– Just Go. Be responsible for your own happiness. You only live life once. Why not travel?