Tyler, the Creator has an interesting way of responding to controversy.
Usually, he’ll just take to Twitter, and that would be enough to get his 2.5 million followers involved in an issue. However, as of Monday, August 10, Tyler seems to be taking a different approach.
He is canceling an entire leg of his tour.
Amid controversy from a feminist group called Collective Shout, Tyler decided to cancel all of his Australian shows.
Collective Shout’s website describes the group as a “grassroots campaigning movement against the objectification of women and sexualization of girls in media, advertising and popular culture.”
The organization strongly believes that Tyler’s music promotes violence and rape-culture, and they have been petitioning the Australian government to have the rapper’s visa application denied.
So far, there has been no information released on the state of Tyler’s visa. But, the official statement from Frontier Touring, the company partnering with Tyler for his tour, says that the cancellation of the Australian shows was the rapper’s own decision.
The statement included a quote from the rapper, himself, which said, “We would much rather come to Australia when it isn’t surrounded in controversy. I love my fans there and hopefully I’ll be back soon. Don’t do drugs.”
The rapper has fought with Collective Shout and its leaders before, though, so is this just a new method of turning his fans against them?
As we previously mentioned, normally Tyler just uses his Twitter account for that task. Or, in one extreme case from 2013, the rapper actually vented his frustrations with a Collective Shout member, Talitha Stone, during one of his concerts that she was attending, calling her a “F**king B*tch” repeatedly.
We think that sounds terrifying.
But we do feel for those Tyler, the Creator fans that had tickets for the upcoming September shows. Do you think that this controversy will ever be resolved, or will Tyler never be welcome in Australia?