Two patients have died and five more were infected after being exposed to a drug-resistant superbug bacteria, carbapenem-resistant enterobacteriaceae, (or CRE) bacteriaat at UCLA Ronald Reagan Medical Center.
California health officials discovered that most health care facilities do not perform CRE screenings. CRE bacteria are resistant to almost all antibiotics. The exposure at UCLA occurred “during complex endoscopic procedures that took place between October 2014 and January 2015.” Officials say “the scopes used in the procedures were sterilized in accordance with manufacturer standards but the CRE may have been transmitted during a procedure that uses this specialized scope to diagnose and treat pancreatico biliary diseases.”
The hospital is offering potentially exposed people a free home-testing kit that would be processed at UCLA and sent out notification letters.
The scopes used in the procedures were removed from the hospital.
CRE can be passed from person to person. Those who are considered healthy are at low risk of contracting the infection. People with other medical problems in hospitals or nursing homes are at higher risk.