92 People Hospitalized After Dining At California Restaurant

Credit: Morgue File

Credit: Morgue File

This could easily be a story out of the doomsday book. 12 people are in intensive care and 80 have been hospitalized according to the Daily Mail due to Mariscos, a seafood restaurant in San Jose.

The cause of the illness is a bacteria called Shigella, which is very contagious. And is spread by people who do not wash their hands after using the bathing and then handle food. Those that contracted the sickness had either eaten at the restaurant or had been in close contact with someone who had.

’It’s very, very infectious,” Public Health Director Sara Cody said in a news conference. ‘’It doesn’t take very much for the bacteria to spread.”

Symptoms include diarrhea, abdominal pain and severe fever and can take between four days and a week to appear. Officials say it can be very serious and in rare circumstances fatal. However, Shigella bacterial infection is treatable with antibiotics.

According to Fox News the Santa Clara County Public Health Department issued a warning to people who ate at Mariscos on Friday or Saturday. And the San Jose Mercury News reported that health officials believe a contaminated food handler spread the disease and there is concern that 100 more people could become infected within the coming week.

The restaurant remains closed until further notice. The owner has two other restaurants which have been visited by the health department but nothing was found that was suspicious.

This entry was posted in Health, News and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.
You are not authorized to see this part
Please, insert a valid App IDotherwise your plugin won't work.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *