The international hunt for the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 in the southern Indian Ocean has concluded for today. The search began on Thursday, despite the difficult weather conditions, after analysis of satellite images identified two large objects floating in the ocean. It was believed that the objects may have come from the Missing Malaysia Flight MH370. According to the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA), the focus of the search was to find passengers who are still alive.
News Correspondents in China stated “five aircraft returned to an area some 2,500 km (1,500 miles) southwest of Perth. Three Chinese naval ships were also travelling to the area, along with the icebreaker Snow Dragon”. AMSA Emergency Response Division general manager, John Young, told Sky News that they want to find these objects because it could possibly lead to finding survivors. According to Australia’s Prime Minister, Warren Truss, nothing of significance had been found and the debris probably sank to the bottom of the ocean. Also, any remaining remnants from the plane may have moved hundreds of kilometers from the site by now.
In a news conference today, Malaysia’s Transport Minister stated that Japan will also assist in the search and confirmed it will request further specialist assistance from the U.S. Britain is also sending the HMS Echo to help the operation.
Due to the horrible weather conditions on Thursday, the radar did not pick up any signs of debris. Searchers resulted to using their eyes instead of equipment to try and spot the objects, which forced the planes to fly very low over the water. Unfortunately, the low flying planes used more fuel, which reduced the amount of time spent searching the area. Young stated “the aircraft’s are planning to head back to the search zone on Saturday, but the search area will change slightly depending on water movements overnight”.
Australian Prime Minister, Tony Abbott, told news reporters in Papua New Guinea, “We owe it to the families, the friends and the loved ones of the nearly 240 people on board flight MH370. Because of the understandable state of anxiety they’re in, we also owe it to them to give them information as soon as we get it to hand”. The families of the victims are anxiously awaiting any further developments.