An external investigation of the NFL regarding the Ray Rice case by former FBI director Robert Mueller has been completed. Apparently, the previous claim made by the NFL that they had not seen the Ray Rice video was upheld. The NFL did not watch the tape until it was made public to everybody.
The report said, “We found no evidence that anyone at the NFL had or saw the in-elevator video before it was publicly shown. We also found no evidence that a woman at the NFL acknowledged receipt of that video in a voicemail message on April 9, 2014.”
The strange part about this case is that previously, the Associated Press originally reported that law enforcement official played the video for a woman who works for the league office. Even though the Mueller report found that the NFL did not see the video in which Ray Rice punched is fiancée, the report also acknowledged that the NFL could have done a better job handling the whole situation.
The report said, “We concluded there was substantial information about the incident — even without the in-elevator video — indicating the need for a more thorough investigation. The NFL should have done more with the information it had, and should have taken additional steps to obtain all available information about the February 15 incident.”
Roger Goodell also commented on the release of the report saying, “While this investigation has now concluded, our focus on the underlying issues and our commitment to positive change remain as strong as ever,” Goodell said in a statement. “We have all learned a great deal in the past months and expect to be judged by how we lead going forward on issues of domestic violence and sexual assault.”
With all the rumors about this investigation in the past few months, it is really hard to figure what is the real truth or what is being covered up. One thing is clear though, and that is that many mistakes were made by the NFL whether it is by the security team or league personnel.