Today, Pope Francis begins his tour of America, where he is expected to greet millions of American Catholics on issues such as climate change and income equality.
President Obama greeted him in Washington DC, where he will begin his trip before travelling to New York and Philadelphia.
Authorities have launched one of the biggest security operations in US history to ensure the pope’s safety. It is the first time he is making the trip as Pope.
The pontiff is very popular in the US and is expected to draw massive crowds in all three cities. He aims to bring Catholics back to the church with a more inclusive message.
Below is his full itinerary:
- Pope Francis will meet with President Barack Obama at the White House
- Papal Parade along DC’s National Mall
- Prayer with US bishops at Saint Matthew’s Cathedral in DC
- Canonisation Mass at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
- Pope Francis will address US Congress and appear in front of the Capitol building
- Visit to St Patrick’s Catholic Church in DC and Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Washington
- Depart DC for New York and do evening prayer at St. Patrick’s Cathedral in New York
- Pope Francis will attend the United Nations General Assembly
- Multi-religious service at the 11 September Memorial and Museum
- Visit to Our Lady Queen of Angels School in East Harlem neighbourhood
- Motorcade through Central Park
- Mass in Madison Square Garden
- Pope Francis will arrive in Philadelphia and have a mass at the Cathedral Basilica of Sts Peter and Paul
- Visit to Philadelphia’s Independence Mall
- Visit to the Festival of Families and a prayer vigil with the World Meeting of Families
- Pope Francis will meet with Bishops at St Martin’s Chapel and St Charles Borromeo Seminary
- Visit to Curran-Fromhold Correctional Facility
- Papal Mass for the World Meeting of Families
- Back to Rome
Will you be following the Pope’s activities while he visits the states?